
Daryl and I have both always donated our time, money, and things to those in need. We do this year round and especially during the holidays. We've done Habitat for Humanity, worked at a food pantry, donated to Goodwill, just to name a few. This spirit of giving is something that we want to teach our children.
I thought it would be nice to have them purchase something that they would like to have, but then give it away to Toys For Tots or the Salvation Army Giving Tree. I explained to Aidan that some kids won't get what they want for Christmas and they need our help. His response: "Well then Santa will just go back to his workshop and get them the presents, right? Is that a big idea?" How do I respond to that?
I convinced Aidan that Santa really needed our help so we purchased our gifts and then I designated the Sunday before Christmas as our giving day. I had seen donation boxes at our local mall earlier in the month so it seemed like a perfect plan - play at the indoor play area, donate our gifts, take some photos so that I could write this blog, and then home for lunch and naptime. Great plan, but this is how it really happened:
We went to the mall, played on the playground and then walked around looking for the donation box. We did not find the donation box, EVER. I pulled out my iPhone and searched for the nearest Toys for Tots drop off. I was so excited to find out that Babies R Us (which is on the outskirts of the mall) is the closest. Yippee! I packed the kids back in the car and drove the 0.02 miles to Babies R Us. When we got to Babies R Us I saw the huge sign regarding Toys for Tots donations and I was so pleased with being able to pull this off until I read the fine print that they stopped taking donations on December 6th. DECEMBER 6th? Are you serious? This is turning into an epic fail and I am rapidly losing my "spirit of the season." It turns out that they are still accepting monetary donations so I gave Aidan & Reese a few dollars and let them make their donation. The BRU manager mentioned to me that Mobile on The Run Gas Stations were still accepting toy donations.
With our money at Babies R Us ready to donate.
Aidan gives his donation and Reese is waiting patiently to give hers.
Reese is waiting for her receipt after giving her donation.
My plan could be salvaged, so I drove to the nearest Mobile station and walked in all excited to finally be able to drop off our gifts. This gas station did not have a single Christmas light or hint of holiday anywhere. I knew it wasn't going to be successful, but I asked the clerk if they were accepting TFT donations. He looked at me like he had never heard of Christmas before so I thanked him and left the gas station defeated. When I got back into the car, Aidan asked me how we were going to give the kids that needed toys our gifts. "Not sure yet, buddy."
Monday evening we drove out see the Winter Wonderland lights at Tillies Park and after the 20 minute car ride to the park and waiting in line for 45 minutes to get in and then 20 minutes into the 30 minutes of driving SLOWLY through the light display, Aidan spoke those fateful words, "Mommy, I have to go the bathroom!" Ummm? Hold it just a little longer, or perhaps we can pull over and do it next to the gingerbread house? Nope? Okay, hold it just a little longer. I quietly prayed that he could hold it.
When we finally exited the park, my father-in-law drove around looking for the nearest bathroom. We ended up at a Mobile on the Run. Mobile on the Run?? Oh YES, Toys For Tots drop off location! I ran into the station with Aidan and was so delighted to see a big box by the register with the words, "TOYS FOR TOTS" written on it. I planned to go there tomorrow with our presents!
The next day, I packed the kids in car and was sure to bring our presents. After our story time, we met Evie and Noah at McAlister's Deli for lunch. As soon as I walked into McAlister's I saw a big cardboard box full of presents a "TOYS FOR TOTS" poster on it. Woo Hoo! Now I don't have to back to Mobile and I went back out to my car to grab the presents.
After our meal, I asked the kids to donate their gifts and I grabbed my camera to document the event. Aidan thought it was an exchange program and wanted one of the items in the box. Reese did not really want to give up her present. I took three days and a lot of coaxing, but we selflessly gave and then enjoyed a well deserved cookie.
Making Christmas Light necklaces at Story Time.
Reese prepares her reindeer food at Story Time.
Reese is not ready to let her gift go.
Reese is almost ready to give up her present.
Aidan and Reese check out the other toys in the box.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
It is better to give...
Posted by Shanna Gourley at 12:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We went to donate some gifts the week before Chriostmas ans I couls not find a single place to drop off toys. You would think if the toys got there late they would have a head start on next year. If you do it weeks before Christmas they do not make the connection, we enede up at St. Vincent De Paul to donate to the cranky men on their dock. Merry Christmas!
woo-hoo! giving is great. yee-haw.
i don't know where yee-haw came from.
Oh too funny!! I love it :O) We want to teach the girls about giving too. This year we started a tradition the the night before Kate has to go around the house and round up old toys. We then leave them with the cookies for Santa to take to the kids that mommy's and daddy's couldn't buy them gifts in addition to the ones that Santa left. It worked this year :O) We will see how it goes when she is 3 and kind of understands :O)
Post a Comment