
I grew up celebrating both Hanukkah and Christmas. I thought everyone did this in their families until I was about 12 years old and then I learned the truth... We were very lucky. We celebrated Hanukkah in our home because my mom is Jewish and must have won that battle with my dad a long, long time ago. We celebrated Christmas with my dad's family and my Papa and Nana. I longed for a Christmas tree and for Santa to visit our house, but felt very blessed to celebrate both holidays so I kept my mouth shut (well, sort of).
One year I recall trying to plot with my dad our plan to have a Christmas tree, but decorate it all in blue with Hanukkah decorations. Dad told me that it wouldn't happen, but I thought I had the answer. Dad was right, mom did not like our idea and told me that when I lived on my own, I could have my own tree and decorate MY house however I like. When I was 16 I had a 3 ft tree hidden in the corner of my bedroom. When I was 18 and got my own apartment, I bought a 6 ft tree and my mother bought me my first ornament that said, "Shanna's First Christmas."
I still feel blessed to have grown up celebrating both holidays and I want this for Aidan and Reese. The last few years, we have been fortunate enough to be with my mom for Hanukkah, but this year we couldn't make it happen. My mother-in-law expressed an interest in learning about Hanukkah, so we decided to have a full Hanukkah celebration with my sister-in-law's family so that we could teach her kids about it too. It sounded like a great idea and my only opportunity to eat Latkes (potato pancakes) this year.
I've always been the attendee at Hanukkah parties, but never the host. For years, I've had lunch at my Aunt Grace and Uncle Howard's home to celebrate Hanukkah and we ate, played the Dreidel Game and sang songs, but I didn't exactly know enough to be the host. I search on the Internet for the story of Hanukkah but it was so overwhelming. I really needed a quick tutorial or Hanukkah for Dummies and I wasn't finding it. I purchased a menorah at Target and my friend Jenn R gave me 9 candles (Reese broke one so Jenn sent one more, so technically I owe her 10 candles). Jenn R told me to get Latkes from Trader Joes, and if you follow this blog, you know that I do not like Trader Joe's. Reluctantly, I made the pilgrimage to TJ's, as Holly (a Trader Joe's fan) calls it, I purchased 3 packages of frozen Latkes and left the store. As my Grandmother reads this she is shaking her head because she has never made frozen Latkes in her life and she is very disappointed in me. I will leave the homemade Latkes to the professionals because I would like to enjoy our holiday and not poison everyone with experimental Latkes.
I had no dreidel because I didn't know where to buy them and everything related to Hanukkah has been on clearance since December 1st. Completely by mistake I ended up sending my online photos to the wrong Walmart and when I went to pick them up, I discovered the mother load of Hanukkah paraphernalia. I purchased more candles, dreidels, and I even found the perfect book to explain the story of Hanukkah complete with a Latke recipe (for a future date), instructions on how to play the Dreidel Game, all the prayers and more! Woo Hoo! Hanukkah is saved!
We lit the candles and I did not take my eyes off of them for fear I would set the house on fire. The kids played the Dreidel Game and the Latkes were delicious! A huge success. Next year, I hope we can celebrate with my mom.
Natalie helps Reese count her money for the Dreidel Game.
Reese misunderstands "spin" your dreidel for "throw it" on the table.
The boys do a little gambling while Aidan and Levi eye the chocolate coins.
Friday, December 25, 2009
Happy Hanukkah
Posted by Shanna Gourley at 8:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i did not know you were jewish. that's pretty cool. and how great is that your "bff" has HUGE jewish ties. she's like the jewish mafia for STL :) justin is jewish too, but we never celebrate it. actually, his grandmother is jewish. she always sends addi these chocolate jewish coins...for everything! she calls them pirate treasure.
This was such a beautiful part of the evening! Loved playing the game and watching the candles burn... it was magical!
I would like to clarify that I told you how to make the latkas and you wanted to get them frozen. That is my Hanukkah gift to you next year a latka making session :)(Love you Shanna)
Maybe we should have a Rappaport, Sweeny, Gorley Hanukkah dinner next year!
Post a Comment