Saturday night was family night for the Gourleys. We decided to check out the downtown activities lined up to celebrate the All Star Game. We headed to the arch with our stroller, some snacks, and water to catch the Sheryl Crow/Elvis Costello concert.
We got there at around 6:30, but the show wouldn't start until after 8pm. We should have picked up food or packed food for our dinner, but as previously mentioned, we had SOME snacks with us, I stress the word SOME. We found a good spot on the grass and I sent Daryl to get food from the vendors. He purchased a chicken gyro sandwich, but I'm not sure exactly what we were eating. Reese and Aidan weren't buying it and we were left with only the snacks in the stroller. We went through the goldfish, and then the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, and finally the Cars the Movie Crackers. Now what? Having spent our life savings on the chicken gyro, we were just going to wing it. Also among the things that we did not think to pack - a blanket.
I did have a few toys in my bag of tricks and somehow that helped us pass the time. Evie, Matt and Noah Stark were going to meet us there - and bring a blanket. During the two hours that we waited, I tried to save our unmarked area of grass so that our friends would be able to join us. I was successful until a very "lovely" group of ladies from Pennsylvania showed up with their lawn chairs and sat right in front of us. I told them that our friends were sitting there and they pretended to ignore me.
Me: Ahem! HELLO, I just said that my friends are sitting here.
Ugly Lady from PA: Well they are not here right now.
Me: They are coming.
Ugly Lady from PA: I drove 15 hours from Pennsylvania to get here and I'm not going to miss this.
Me: Why don't you get a head start on your trip home.
Ugly Lady from PA and her uglier friends set up their lawn chairs anyway. It's a little hard to get into a good fight with your kids right there. I can't really use the good words and what was I going to do, reenact a scene from Mortal Kombat? Not likely. Aidan would have put me in the corner and told me "Mama, we do not say bad words and we do not fight. I am very upset with you."
Once Matt & Evie got there, I was sure to point out to Ugly Lady from PA, "See, these are my friends. They are here now!"
Evie and I had a good laugh when I told her the story. The concert was awesome and the kids seemed to really enjoy it. We were sure that they would fall asleep, but no such luck. Aidan did fall on the ground once and we thought that was it for him, but he got a second wind and a case of the giggles on the way home. Matt, Evie and Noah came up to our loft for some pizza and the boys (Daryl and Matt, not Aidan and Noah) had a few beers. Good times, good friends.







2 comments:
I love you to no end, so why would you torture me so, by putting a picture up that makes me look like I weigh 500 pounds?!!!
You do not look 500 pounds. Don't blame me, blame the photographer. Your hair can't be as bad as mine - humidity is no one's friend.
Post a Comment