My friend Nikki's niece Parker's first birthday is today. Parker was born an angel on March 5, 2009.

Not a day goes by that I do not think of this beautiful baby. I have the same a picture of her at my desk that was taken by a local Now That I Lay Me Down To Sleep photographer. I highly recommend that if you experience the loss of a child that you contact a local photographer that is part of NILMDTS. Nikki said that the gorgeous photos that her sister Amy and brother in law Jim had taken of Parker really helped in their healing process.
I am impressed and inspired by the strength that this family has. This little girl made such a big impact on so many people, including the Gourleys. I attended her wake and we attended a ceremony for a bricks that were imprinted in her honor and are part of the Angel of Hope Park in St. Charles, MO. At her funeral and at the Brick Ceremony they released balloons in her honor.
Whenever we get balloons, Aidan and Reese release them and send them to Parker. We get balloons all of the time and my kids love to cheer as they blow away. This happens about once a week, if not more often. Teaching this to my children is one of my very proud mommy moments. Not only are my kids the only two children in the world that do not cry when their balloons fly away, but we remember Parker at each balloon release. We cheer and celebrate her!
I took Aidan and Reese to her grave two days before her birthday so that we could leave flowers and release balloons. Aidan and Reese colored happy birthday notes for Parker that I tied to her flowers. The flowers are very similar to the one in her hair on her photo. At her grave site, Aidan started singing "Happy Birthday" to Parker, if I knew how to upload videos, I would upload it. I did email it to Nikki because I thought it was to precious not to share.
Our balloon release at Parker's grave.
We celebrated her again today on her first birthday. Nikki invited us to have lunch with her sister Amy and their friend Jen. I picked up cupcakes from Jilly's Cupcake Bar and we met them for lunch. It makes me cry that Amy can't watch her daughter smash her chubby little fingers into her cupcake. We shared joy and tears at lunch and I am so blessed that they invited us to share this very special day.
Happy Birthday, sweet Parker!






3 comments:
You have such a way with words. How sweet what you are teaching your sweet kids! I remember Tim telling me about Parker. Happy Birthday to her!!
I have to say that the Gourley's are by far one of my many life's blessings. Like Parker, you have been put on my life for a reason and I am a better person for knowing the Gourley family. Shanna, you and your kids touched Amy's heart on Parker's birthday. Your mere presence made a expectedly tough day a lot easier to swallow and celebrate. For those of us who are so blessed to know you, I am thankful. You may not realize this but please know, you are a role model to more than your children! I can't say it enough, I LOVE the Gourley's.
tears...
Post a Comment