I'm convinced that my children lead double lives. They have one life when they are at home and another when they are at daycare. They eat different foods, they act differently, they have their own friends, they have their own lives that I know nothing about.
When Reese was about a year old I was dropping her off at daycare at breakfast time. Her teacher put her in the highchair and brought her a banana. I told teacher that Reese doesn't eat bananas - because I've been giving her bananas for months and she would take one bite, make a disgusted face and then throw the banana on the floor. Her teacher proceeds to tell me that Reese always eats bananas. I watched as Reese ate the banana. Great, not only do I feel like a jerk, but it is clear that I do not even know my child. I take this moment to ask if Reese also eats other fruit, beef, hotdogs, vegetables, etc. Teacher responds with yes, yes, yes and yes. "Reese eats whatever we put on her plate."
There goes my nomination for "Mother of the Year."
Now fast-forward to present day. Reese is 2 years old and has graduated to the 2 year old classroom where they focus on potty-training. She is starting to take an interest in going potty, so I'm thinking that in a few months we can start training her. I purchase Cinderella and Elmo big girl underwear, I put the potty chair out and encourage her to sit on the potty (sometime she goes and we clap), I dusted off the "Elmo Goes Potty" video. I felt prepared to start potty training, I just needed to talk to her teachers and see if they would be on board.
While dropping off Reese, I brought up the "Project Potty Training" idea to Reese's teacher. I reminder her how helpful she was with Aidan's training and asked if they would be ready to start training Reese in a few weeks. I expressed to her that Reese wants to start using the potty and I was ready if they were. Teacher tells me that Reese uses the potty at school already. She marches into the bathroom on her own and pulls down her pants.
Another nomination for "Mother of the Year."
I sent Reese to daycare with her Cinderella underwear the following Monday.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Double Agent Reese
Posted by Shanna Gourley at 7:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment