Since Daryl started working for Edward Jones, one of the highlights of our summer is the Edward Jones Summer Regional Meeting. This year's meeting was held in Kansas City, Missouri and we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel & Plaza at Country Club Plaza - sounds fancy, doesn't it?
Daryl lived in Kansas City for about 10 minutes as an infant and I had never been. I am always excited when I get to visit a new city and the meeting planner in me starts going as soon as I know I'm going somewhere! I searched on the Internet and even requested a brochure from the Kansas City visitor's bureau. We got back on Sunday and I still haven't received my brochure - I guess Kansas City didn't want me to visit, but I showed them!
Mr. Karaoke
At the EJ family dinner, the entertainment was Karaoke and they were selling raffle tickets to benefit the United Way. This Karaoke experience was a little different than the Clinique meetings that I used to attend. At the Clinique meetings, you could not get people to give back the microphone. At this meeting people were actually giving donations to the United Way to not have to sing! Because none of the adults would sing, Aidan took that opportunity to dazzle the audience with his "ABC's" - twice.
One thing that I was really looking forward to was spending time with Andrea Yoder. Her husband Jeremy started with EJ last year and we have become really good friends with them. While the boys were at meetings, Andrea and I did some sightseeing with the kids. We walked around Country Club Plaza. We loved all of the fountains and went into a few of the shops. There is a Burberry store there and I was so happy to be in there! It really made me miss my good friend Holly and our tea time at the 57th Street store.
I also took one for the team and ate at Arthur Bryants. For those of you that are not familiar it's a local chain of BBQ restaurants in Kansas City. I really do not like BBQ, but Daryl loves it and when in Rome... While waiting for our table I got yelled at by one of the busgirls. The place was packed and there was a six-top table that had the scraps from the last guests still on it. We had 5 people so I motioned to Ms. busgirl to ask her to clean the table when she could. She gave me a dirty look and the conversation went like this:
I also took one for the team and ate at Arthur Bryants. For those of you that are not familiar it's a local chain of BBQ restaurants in Kansas City. I really do not like BBQ, but Daryl loves it and when in Rome... While waiting for our table I got yelled at by one of the busgirls. The place was packed and there was a six-top table that had the scraps from the last guests still on it. We had 5 people so I motioned to Ms. busgirl to ask her to clean the table when she could. She gave me a dirty look and the conversation went like this:
Ms. Busgirl: Do you really need this table? How many are you?
Me: Um, uh, we have 5
Ms. Busgirl: Ugh! (points to clean 4-top table). Just sit there and pull up a chair. (Ms. Busgirl exits)
Okay then. I pulled up an extra chair and we dined at the 4-top table. She eventually had to clean the table to a more deserving family (ironically they were another EJ family) that had 6 people. No wasted seats in this place. The food was delicious and they serve ice cold Coca-Cola in a giant souvenir cup - this place is okay by me.
Earlier in the day Andrea and I had gone into a popcorn shop and purchased popcorn and some Jelly Beans. Not just any jelly beans - the really disgusting ones called BeanBoozled. After the awards dinner that evening, we encouraged (aka tricked) a few people into trying the Jelly Beans. Some of the flavors include baby wipes, vomit, pencil shavings, and moldy cheese. Just to keep you guessing you could get lucky and get peach, juicy pear, or licorice, but most of our victims got skunk spray, boogers or the previously mentioned flavors. Good times.
By the looks of our photos and the list of how many places we visited, it would seem that we were there for a week. Nope - just 3 days. We went to Union Station, Crown Center, Nelson-Atkins Art Museum, Country Club Plaza, and we even saw the Duck Derby. I didn't quite understand what the Duck Derby is and I still don't. You purchase a rubber duck (yes, just like Ernie has), the proceeds go to charity and your duck participates in a race down the river and you can win prizes from gift certificates to a Harley Davidson. We watched this "race" and it takes 30 minutes for the ducks to travel 1/8 of a mile so you can imagine that it was a real nail-biter! The Gourleys were bored after 5 minutes and we moved on. Back to St. Louis we went.

1 comments:
Sounds like a good time Gourley fam! We missed you here in the Lou.
Post a Comment