BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Made in the USA

We spent the 4th of July weekend in Lincoln, Nebraska with Daryl's family. On the drive over there we were asked to stop at a fireworks shop to pick up a few things. I've never been to one of these stores and it was quite an experience. It was like Sam's Club, but it smelled like gun powder.
The irony that is not captured in this photo is the people standing out front smoking on the side of the building.
I was trying to help Daryl pick out the best stuff, but I really didn't know what a bottle rocket actually looks like.

Daryl, Aidan, Reese and I stayed at our cousins Tammy and Tim's house. The kids loved to play with their dog Charlie. Reese put Charlie's leash on him and she walked him around the house. He loved it too!
Tim's garage is the cleanest, most well organized garage I have ever seen in my life. You really could eat off the floor. Aidan thought his Camaro was the coolest!
Reese loves her pinwheel and bubbles! Thank you Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Deon for our gifts!
Tammy was in charge of cooking the burgers and dogs with Carolyn and Diana looking on, until...
we had a minor situation and thankfully did not need to involve the fire department. Jessica and Steve stepped in and cooked the remaining burgers and all of the hot dogs. We tried to keep it quiet and hoped that everyone like their burgers well done. I was really disappointed and figured I would be eating a hot dog until Uncle Deon complained that his burger was still raw and I ran over to him and took his burger, wiped off the mustard added more cheese and enjoyed the only medium rare burger in the house. YUMMY!
Now on to the fireworks. I've never actually seen this many do-it-yourself fireworks. I've only seen the professional shows in the sky like the Macy's show in New York City or the ones at local park districts. I begged Daryl to bring Aidan back to me with all of his limbs and his face exactly the way I was sending him out. Once again I was told to chill out.

Aidan had a good time, but that won't keep me from freaking out.
Aidan asking Jessica a million questions about the fireworks.
The early clean up crew.
Jessica, Steve, Daryl, Shanna and Tammy
Brad, Carolyn, Diana, Reese and Deon.
Aidan loved the sparklers. I hate them. I've spent too much time at recent wedding trying to get them lit or trying to prevent drunk wedding guests from lighting anything or anyone on fire. I hope this fad goes out of style SOON!
Pappy, Aidan, Mimi and Reese watching the show. We had a little competition going with the neighbors down the street. Their show was better than ours, but we think that they had illegal ones. Either they "know a guy" or they spent too much money.

I did end up lighting two bottle rockets toward the end of the night. It was fun, but I was done after the two bottle rockets.
Reese was the first one out.

We had so much fun with everyone. My only regret is that the weather was terrible. It rained almost the entire time we were there so we didn't get to sight-see as much as I would have liked. Next time it will be better and we'll make it to Omaha for steaks.

1 comments:

nataliej said...

You and the fireworks store are cracking me up... love you describing new experiences... it is so halarious! Looks like you all had fun!