BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 23, 2007

Reese Darcie Gourley is born!!!


July 19, 2007:

Exactly as planned Daryl and I drove to Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis to welcome Reese into the world. I was being induced that morning and we were hoping that she would arrive by the end of the day. Everything was going smooth and I was feeling great! At around 4pm, Daryl went home to walk Tyson and Haley. I expected him to be back in about an hour and a half, no big deal since the nurse told us it would be a while still. At exactly 5:30, the nurse announced to me that "it was time" and Reese was coming at any moment. Daryl wasn't back yet and Aidan was with Daryl's parents eating Pizza at the cafeteria in the hospital. Just as I was getting ready to call Daryl, he walked in the door. The interns were still putting on their scrubs (you have to love a teaching hospital) when Reese was born. The actual labor took less than 5 minutes, they do say it is so much easier the second time around, but I was not expecting that! Before all of you mothers can start to hate me for having such an easy delivery, I can tell you that what unfolded over the next few hours was anything but easy.

After this amazing delivery, I was expecting to spend time with my beautiful girl right away. After everyone left for the night, the nurse took her to the nursery for a bath and she was supposed to bring her back to me. Hours passed and they never brought her to my room. I started to freak out (something I have mastered over the years) and demanded to know what was going on. They told me they were monitoring her in the nursery and if I wanted to, I could go in there to see her. Um, YES, I want to go to see my daughter! When I got there, I was not prepared for what I saw. My little girl was in her "tanning bed" with monitors all over her body and an oxygen mask near her face. Her stomach was distended and she was having difficulty breathing. They brought her to the Special Care Unit where she spent the next 2 days. We spent a lot of time there feeding her and just being with her. She was unable to pass her meconim, which I guess is very common. After 2 very long days, we were finally able to take her home! That's when the fun begins!

0 comments: